Hot & Spicy Apple Tomato Jam
5 cups tomatoes, diced & crushed (green, red, or mixed)
1 small apple, unpeeled, chopped and seeds removed
1 cup apple juice
6 jalapeno peppers
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
¼ teaspoon vanilla butter & nut extract
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 boxes (pink) Sure Jell Premium Fruit Pectin
7 ½ cups sugar (measured into 2 bowls, 7 cups & ½ cups, respectively)
- Chop and measure tomatoes, apple, jalapenos, and juice. Pulse together in a blender to mince and mix together thoroughly. Place in large pot on stove.
- Add cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and extract to pot.
- Mix 2 boxes of Sure Jell Premium Pectin (pink box) with ½ cup of sugar.
- Mix the sugar/pectin mixture into the fruit puree in the pot on the stove.
- Bring mixture in pot to a full rolling boil on high heat. Stir constantly.
- Add remaining 7 cups of sugar. Return to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Ladle into prepared canning jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rims, and seal with lids and bands.
- Process in water bath for 10 minutes.
- Let jars stand undisturbed for 24 hours after processing before checking for a proper seal.
- Jam may take up to 7 days to reach firm set.
Makes about 8 cups.
Always follow up to date canning procedures and adapt recipes to exclude items accordingly.